I am so excited to tell you about the Renfrew County Poverty Reduction Strategy (PRS) Forum that we co-hosted along with The County of Renfrew, and City of Pembroke in September 2015.
During the Forum County of Renfrew Warden, Peter Emon, agreed to chair a Steering Committee to move forward on the development of a local Poverty Reduction Strategy for Renfrew County and District which will be unique for our needs.
A small Steering Committee formed including the following members:
- Warden Peter Emon, County of Renfrew
- Mayor Michael LeMay, City of Pembroke
- Dr. Maureen Carew **, Medical Officer of Health, (former) Renfrew County and District Health Unit
- Michelle Arbour, Renfrew County Catholic District School Board
- Laura Hunter, Staff Lawyer at Renfrew County Legal Clinic
- Carmen Goold, Regional Advisor for Provincial Government
- Greg Lubimiv, Executive Director, Phoenix Centre
- Lyn Smith, Renfrew County Child Poverty Action Network
** Please note that Dr. Katherine Reducka has now taken the place of Dr. Maureen Carew.
Since the forum, this steering committee has met several times and reviewed key areas for development and action based on the feedback provided at the forum. These include (and may not be exclusive to) the following areas:
- Food Security
- Income Security
- Child Care
- Access to Healthcare
All of these areas need to be addressed separately, yet under one plan, with common mandates, visions and goals (such as all being empowering and inclusive). That being said we want to include all the great skills and work already done or being done in this plan, and invite you and others to let us know if there is an area you would like to be involved with and to what capacity.
Food Security will be our first committee formed, RCDHU have agreed to chair this committee. Once the ‘Food Security’ committee is formed and running we aim to form another (from the list above). This will depend on a few things:
- If we already have work started in one of the identified areas
- If we have a leader (chair) ready to step forward
- If there is specific funding to move one particular area to the front
Please let us know if you are interested in being involved with any of the committees dealing with areas of interest, and feel free to share this information with others who may be interested in helping Renfrew County to create our own unique strategy to make Renfrew County a better place to live for all.
I am pleased to be able to share the summary from the Poverty Reduction Strategy Forum, which includes work carried out at the World Café
Please feel free to contact me for additional information.
Lyn Smith, Executive Director
Renfrew County Child Poverty Action Network (CPAN)
Tel; 613 735 9579
Fax: 613 735 2378