IF YOU WERE THE PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA HOW WOULD YOU IMPROVE THE RIGHTS OF CANADIAN CHILDREN?
Design and create a unique poster, size 8.5 X 11 (letter size)
Write your name grade and school on the back
Submit to your teacher no later than March 24th 2017.
Your poster needs to show: If you were The Prime Minister of Canada how you would improve the rights of Canadian children.
Rights of a Child
Did You Know?
- There are 19,420 child and youth in Renfrew County, 2590 of them live in poverty
- 26% of Aboriginal households have incomes that fall below the poverty line
- 1 in 2 indigenous children live in poverty
- Over 40% of food bank users are children
- 2/3 of children have parents that work, and 1/3 of children living in poverty have parents who work full time, year long
- Children who do not have appropriate winter clothing cannot participate at school (recess) or in their community
- Research shows that children who go to school fully prepared are more likely to graduate
- Children from low income families often don’t get hot lunches, agendas, or go on school trips
- Children from low income families often suffer from food insecurity, many have never eaten certain (or any) fresh fruits and vegetables
- Often ‘working poor’ families don’t have extended health care benefits and can’t afford prescription medication, eyeglasses, and other medical needs
- Research has shown that poverty impacts how well and how long people live. Poor people experience a reduced quality of life, and life years are shortened.
- WE CAN ALL WORK TO CHANGE THIS!